Novi Labs is a venture backed rapidly growing artificial intelligence driven company based in Austin, Texas. Our mission is to improve economic outcomes for our Customers on their Oil & Gas investments.
The Oil & Gas sector has historically struggled to derive actionable insights from it’s vast amounts of data. Novi was founded by industry experts, data scientists, and experienced software engineers to help solve this problem. Our heritage in building scalable, data driven analytical software applications positions us extremely well to help customers optimize multi-billion dollar annual capital investments.
Novi’s customers include innovative Oil & Gas Operators and forward-thinking energy investors. Collectively, they invest hundreds of billions of dollars in capital annually to find and develop energy assets. Novi improves outcomes on these investments through applied artificial intelligence – which reduces risk through data driven optimization. Stated simply, we help our clients choose the best way to invest their capital.
We pride ourselves on our ability to attract great talent by offering a challenging, collaborative, and rewarding work environment. We have a track record of inventing real solutions to challenging problems and a reputation for building great software that our users love. Our team includes data scientists, software engineers, data analysts, and customer success experts to build and support a ground-breaking software solution for our customers.
The Technical Advisor, Reservoir Engineering serves as a domain expert for reservoir engineering at Novi Labs. The advisor sits at the intersection of data science and reservoir engineering, an impactful position that touches all aspects of Novi’s business. A successful candidate will have a deep understanding of reservoir engineering in shale plays, demonstrable expertise in Spotfire, and strong interpersonal & presentation skills.
This is a customer facing position involving deep technical analysis and subsequent presentations of findings to executives of Novi’s customers. Proven ability to present complex technical topics to executive audiences is a key aspect of this role. Typical audiences at Novi meetings are Chief Operating Officer, or other very senior executive roles.
- Presenting complex technical material to engineers, data scientists, and executives.
- Developing presentation material and product demos to support the Novi sales process.
- Building Spotfire dashboards and/or plugins that leverage Novi model outputs to enhance reservoir engineering workflows.
- Demonstrating thought leadership through published papers and conference presentations.
- Integrating Novi outputs into standard reservoir engineering software packages such as Aries, Val Nav, and Enersight.
- Applying familiarity with asset valuation to drive Novi’s growing A&D market segment.
- Working with the customer and data science teams to design and execute pilot projects.
- Assisting with current production customers on model design, model reviews, and use cases.
- Consulting with the Novi data science team to develop novel approaches to a range of data analytics and machine learning problems.
- Identifying impactful product development opportunities.
- Knowledge and familiarity with key reservoir engineering workflows – decline curve analysis, asset valuation, type curve generation, well economics analysis
- Deep understanding of Tibco Spotfire analytics platform
- Data analysis – including knowledge of key onshore data types (production, logs, directional surveys, completions, spacing/stacking/staggering, etc)
- Ability to create and confidently present executive level presentations – well reviews, pad reviews, and other decision support analysis
- Collaborative work across engineering disciplines
- Get high quality work done on time
- Working knowledge of reservoir engineering and economics analysis software packages – ARIES, Enersight, Val Nav, etc
- BA/BS degree in petroleum engineering from strong technical university
- 2 to 9 years experience performing reservoir engineering duties
- Deep experience assembling and analyzing datasets using Tibco Spotfire
- Strong communication skills (written and presentation)
- Ability to speak confidently with C-level customer stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail
- Data science / machine learning experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to explain complex petroleum engineering concepts in simple terms
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to corporate mission
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
Travel & Location
- Up to 50% travel, mostly for customer presentations in North and South America
- Position is based in Austin, TX